Talent, hard work and perseverance brings recognition to School of Art and Design Students
As this academic year has drawn to a close, we’d like to give one more shout-out to our talented, hard-working art and design students!
Though our entire spring 2021 semester took place in a virtual learning environment, with some minor modifications we were we able to maintain all of our existing School of Art and Design award programs – and we even added a new one this year!
Student Award Exhibition
The Student Award Exhibition is our annual spring exhibition and award program featuring work by upper-division undergraduate and graduate Art and Design Students. Selected students earn substantial cash awards and the opportunity to be included in the university’s permanent collection.
- President’s Award – Yasmeen Alkes Tobya
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts Dean’s Award – Jamie Kristine Oram
- Dean Emerita of Professional Studies and Fine Arts Award – Alexander Downey
- College of Arts & Letters Dean’s Award – Tenaya Parmenter
- Fowler College of Business Dean’s Award – India Verbuff
- Aztec Shops Award – Katie Francis
- SDSU Art Council Ambassadors’ Award – Rebekah Sullivan
- Director’s Award – Alexander Zimmerman
- Jury Award – Jordan Reeves
- Art Produce Solo Exhibition Award – Sepideh Shamloufard
Graduate Thesis Awards
This year, in response to the needs and requests of our talented graduate students, we were able to add a new award for them. The Graduate Thesis Awards granted cash awards to two Master’s of Fine Arts students whose projects were found to demonstrate depth, complexity, and the need for funds to complete their projects.
- Linson Huang
- Luciano Pimienta
Art Council Ambassadors’ Awards
The SDSU Art Council Ambassadors (ACA) are enthusiastic donors that each support the School of Art and Design at an annual gift of $1000 or more. ACA funds support a number of ongoing programs at the school. Since its inception more than 30 years ago, the ACA has provided cash awards to undergraduate and graduate students who have displayed exceptional talent.
Art Council Ambassadors’ Award Winners
- Isabela French
- Jonathan Mantell Johnson
- Michelle Natividad Stein
- Leila Khalilzadeh
School of Art and Design Outstanding Graduate Award
Each May, the School of Art and Design nominates a graduating student to be its Outstanding Graduate. Outstanding Graduates demonstrate excellence within their school, maintaining academic success, involving themselves in extracurricular activities, leadership, research, and supporting their fellow students.
2021 Outstanding Graduate
- Rebekah Sullivan