Image courtesy of Sophia Sobko and the Author
San Diego State University
Education Business Admin Building
Join us for a lecture and conversation by Sophia Sobko and Yolanda Varona about the project Cuentos Para Dormir
Cuentos Para Dormir is an original children’s book series written by deported parents living in Tijuana, Mexico for their children who are living in the USA. The books employ magical realism to chronicle personal stories of deportation and family separation, covering themes including domestic violence, friendship, resilience, and faith.
Lecture by Sophia Sobko, the artist and educator who helped the parents with the writing process and the publishing of the books. In addition, the parent-authors of the DREAMERs Moms organization will be broadcast in from Tijuana, Mexico to participate in a bi-national book reading and to discuss issues of deportation and family separation.
Organized by SDSU Downtown Gallery in conjunction with We Are Here/Estamos Aquí on display at the SDSU Downtown Gallery.
We Are Here/Estamos Aquí is organized by the SDSU Downtown Gallery. This event is sponsored by The President’s Leadership Fund, Univision Radio San Diego, the School of Art + Design, the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts. Additional support is provided by Arts Alive SDSU.
For directions to the Education Business Administration building, please visit the Interactive Campus Map.
• Park in Parking Structure 3.
• Visitor parking is permitted on levels 1-3.
• Look for the yellow parking ticket vending machines.
• Walk through Parking Structure 2 and cross small foot bridge over College Avenue
• Walk up stairs to Aztec Circle Drive.
• Education Business Administration entrance will be on your right.
• Take the elevator to the 4th floor and follow signage to the Room 410.
You can use the above Interactive Campus Map to find locations and directions to each of the parking structures.