The objective of this scholarship is to provide an award for one student artist at San Diego State University to honor the memory of SDSU Alumnus Joyce Rogers Kitchell. The committee may however divide the scholarship and award several students.
Eligibility and Requirements
Applicants for this scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- A full time student enrolled in the School of Art and Design at SDSU.
- Declared upper division level students within the art major may apply (including all emphasis areas within Art, Design, and Art History). Eligible major codes are:
Art (major code: 10021)
Graphic Design (major code: 10091)
Interior Design (major code: 02031)
Multimedia (major code: 06991)
Art History (major code: 10031)
Art-MFA (major code: 10022), Art-MA (major code: 10021)
- A preferred minimum GPA of 3.0
- Student must demonstrate financial need.
- Present between 10–15 works of art that were completed within the past two years.
- Complete an application form: Illustrators Scholarship 2013 Application. Note: Documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader (external link).
- Submit a one-page (double spaced typewritten) statement overview of your financial need, art interests, art background, objectives as a student artist and career goals.
- Submit quality images of your works of art on a CD and include an accompanying list of the title, date, dimensions and medium.**
- Letter of recommendation from a School of Art and Design faculty member.
**ADDITIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS FOR CURRENT SDSU STUDENTS:
You must log into the BLACKBOARD ART ADVISING HOMEROOM to submit your materials. You must submit portfolio materials in the BB Art Advising Homeroom “Journals” section to be considered for scholarships requiring a portfolio.
The Scholarship Committee will review the applications and choose the award recipient. Two representatives from the Society of Illustrators will also serve on the committee in an advisory capacity.
To-Be-Announced. Turn into the Art Office, A-505.
Notification of Scholarship Recipients
The Director of the School of Art and Design will contact the recipient. If you receive financial aid and you become a finalist for a scholarship, your eligibility for additional funds with the Financial Aid Office will be assessed. If you do not have any “unmet need” Financial Aid will plan to have your award signed over to them to help pay off your student loans.