About the Multimedia Program
The Multimedia emphasis provides students majoring in Art the opportunity to study an aggregate of courses related to time-based media, interactivity, experimental narrative, timespace approaches to installation, and interdisciplinary approaches to art and design. This course of study provides an opportunity for interdisciplinary studies incorporating traditional and emerging technologies.
The interactive and narrative concepts using electronic and time based media in the course of study in Multimedia provide students an understanding of industries in web design, interactive media, gaming, DVD interface and navigation, motion graphics, instructional systems, and publishing.
The course of study Multimedia offers the opportunity for students interested in the Art Major to cross disciplines and use new technologies in their work. Interactive environments, Net art, video and sound are potential forms of expression in the fine arts that can be explored within this emphasis.
Neil Kendricks, Multimedia, Photography
View Neil Kendricks's Bio + Portfolio
Dane Picard, Foundations, Multimedia
View Dane Picard's Bio + Portfolio
Russ Prior, Multimedia
View Russ Prior's Bio + Portfolio
Sam Shpigelman, Multimedia
View Sam Shpigelman's Bio + Portfolio
Mark Siprut, Multimedia
email@example.com | 619-594-5446
View Mark Siprut's Bio + Portfolio
Kim Stringfellow, Multimedia
View Kim Stringfellow's Bio + Portfolio
Multimedia and Photography Facilities
The School of Art + Design manages seven high-end Mac computer labs, including a dedicated collaborative laptop lab. Although specific classes are often held in the labs, open lab hours are scheduled throughout the entire week so students can work on assignments. All computers are networked and have access to class servers for student file storage. The following can be found in each lab:
- flatbed and film scanners
- laser printers
- projector or large presentations display(s)
- 25+ high-end Mac computers with:
- Mac OS
- Windows OS
- Adobe Creative Cloud (all apps) and Director
- AutoCAD, Revit, Maya, SketchUp Pro
- Suitcase Fusion and over 2,500 licensed fonts
- Processing (for Arduino)
Tablets and touchscreen TVs
Additionally, classes have access to a mobile classroom set of iPads for product design and e-publication testing. Large exhibition touchscreen TVs are also available in specific labs to use with development in multimedia projects.
2D Digital Printers
Students have access to paid printing in computer labs during open lab hours. The following resources are available during those open hours:
- large format printing (multiple media types available)
- black and white laster printing
- color laser printing
The School of Art + Design has excellent black and white darkroom facilities available to students at all hours.
- medium and large format cameras
- several dedicated blackout rooms to prep traditional film for development tanks
- sixteen enlargers for up to 16″ prints
- large array of filters and lenses
- separate room with a horizontal enlarger for producing very large-scale photos
- film dryer
- light table
- paper cutter and flat file storage
High-end digital photography production is also available in the School’s computer labs with state-of-the art Mac computers, scanners, and large format printers.
Digital Fabrication Printers, Computing Labs, and Software
- Roland MDX-40 rapid prototyper
- Roland LPX-60 3D laser scanner
- plasma cutter
- non-ferrous metals laser cutter
- die cut ‘printing’ (screen printing room 481)
- CNC router (accommodates full sheet sizes)
- computing labs equipped with full range of industry-standard design and 3D software, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Rhino 3D, Flamingo, SketchUp Pro, Podium, AutoCAD, Revit, and Maya
Visit the FLab page to learn more.
Full Interdisciplinary Facilities
Interested in interdisciplinary work across mediums? Visit our comprehensive facilities page to see all the resources we have available to students within the School of Art + Design.
Multimedia Visiting Artists
Sculpture, Photography, Multimedia
Painting and Printmaking, Multimedia
Richard T Walker
For a list of visiting artists and artist in residencies related to all disciplines, visit the Visiting Artist Programs page.